And if Caloy’s revelation of his coach is to be believed, his chances should improve through the guidance of Kugimiya. Carlos Yulo’s younger brother could train in Japan someday. Pure mind. That training environment has clearly paid dividends, as Kugimiya and Yulo …

“I talked to my mom (Angelika) and she told it was better to go there and train with coach Mune. The Gymnastics Association of the Philippines is considering and studying this possibility of duplicating the success of the 19-year-old Yulo in the 2019 World Artistic Gymnastics Championships in Stuttgart, Germany.

He feels that he owes much to coach Kugimiya who is also behind Caloy's success. Japanese coach Munehiro Kugimiya, Yulo’s mentor for over six years, has transformed his ward into a world-class gymnast bound for the Olympics. "Now I feel more at home here. Years later when the gymnast was 16, she would facilitate Yulo’s move to train under Japanese coach Munehiro Kugimiya. The venture was also backed by the International Gymnastics Federation [FIG] and the International Olympic Committee [IOC] 'Olympic Solidarity' programme. "Sobrang natutuwa po [noong na-meet ko si coach Mune]. “Sa teachings, grabe po. YULO Carlos Edriel (PHI) ... Japan, to train with coach Munehiro Kugimiya as part of a scheme supported by the Gymnastics Association of the Philippines and the Japan Gymnastics Association. In 2013, Yulo met his mentor Munehiro Kugimiya when the Japanese came to the Philippines to help train the national team. Born in Manila, Yulo now trains in Tokyo. “Syempre po kasi ’yung utang na loob niya kay coach Mune (Munehiro Kugimiya). Had he accepted any offer, it meant that he would cut ties with his current coach.

His talent caught the attention of Carrion early on.

Basta di applicable sa akin, gagawa siya ng panibago,” Yulo said. Japanese coach strives for perfection As it played, Carlos "Caloy" Yulo stood on the winners podium, his right hand on his chest and his feet firmly planted on the highest platform, flanked by silver and bronze medalists Artem Dolgopyat from Israel and China's Xiao Ruoteng. The 19-year-old Filipino gymnast Carlos Yulo captured the gold medal in the 49th FIG Artistic Gymnastics World Championships in ... Yulo left Manila for Tokyo a few years ago to undergo intensive training under Japanese coach Munehiro Kugimiya. Yulo has been under the tutelage of Japanese coach Munehiro Kugimiya, who finally produced his first world champion in the teen gymnast. So I went,” Yulo said in an interview. Marami po siyang tinturo na techniques na hindi ko alam. Carlos does not want to part with his Japanese coach, Munehiro Kugimiya.