Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Pinterest. No matter whether they were written in the 18 th century or the 20 th, the scenarios still ring true—and there are plenty of authors taking those stories and reinventing them for today’s readers.

And yet . The classics are called classic for a reason: they’re stories that withstand the test of time. I propose, for those of you with a classic literature book hangover, that the next best thing to do is read modern retellings of your favorite classics. Some adaptations stay almost completely true to the original text, simply using modern film technology to share a classic story. Classic literature has always been there for us. Time goes by, but those classic masterpieces still remain popular — thanks in part to these excellent movie adaptations. At the time, I couldn’t comprehend why Shakespeare was compulsory in British school […]

Film adaptations are a tricky thing: they can be complete disasters that shame the source material, or they can leave you thinking about the original content in a whole new way.

6 Modern Adaptations of Classic Novels.

Modern classics in literature are like that—smooth-skinned and young, yet with a sense of longevity. Though I loved Victorian literature, any texts predating the 1800’s seemed totally inaccessible and dated to me. A modern day adaptation is any modern book or film that is adapted from an original work of literature. If done well, these contemporary versions can have a huge impact and impart the same wisdom that made the earlier story gain its classic status. But before we define that term, let's start by defining what a work of classic literature is. Nine utterly superb movie adaptations from classic literature--18-5k. 50 films, Adaptations from Classic Literature by g-tyaneus | created - 17 Oct 2012 | updated - 02 Aug 2013 | Public Refine See titles to watch instantly, titles you haven't rated, etc. The fine moral conundrums that lie at the heart of, say, a Henry James novel would seem unfitted to our looser and more relativistic modern manners. 1. . by Tara Sonin / August 25, 2016 at 3:00 pm Share. Not all teenagers enjoy having to read classic literature at school; I certainly didn’t like having to read Shakespeare’s plays at the age of fourteen. Many of today’s authors try to use these classic works as a starting-off point to write a more modern version. Adaptations that involve modernization of the material can be particularly tricky, as over time moral standards can shift as markedly as sartorial ones. They make for a perfect movie night!

. This problem is compounded when filmmakers attempt modern adaptations of classic literature; not only are they bringing a beloved story to life, they’re turning […] Check out this list of book-to-movie adaptations.