Foo and bar are derived from foobar. It is an anglicized form of Susanna, ultimately derived from the Hebrew Shoshana.

The popularity of the name Susan seems fitting because black-eyed Susan (Rudbeckia hirta) is an extremely common flower. In some cases, the equivalent can be a cognate, in other cases it may be an Anglicised spelling derived from the Gaelic name, or in other cases it can be an etymologically unrelated name..

List of feminine Scottish Gaelic and English names To frob, likewise, means to do something to something. That is certainly more unusual. Susan originates in Hebrew language and means "lily". ; Hacker slang includes a number of placeholders, such as frob which may stand for any small piece of equipment.

Other names meaning Lily are Sanna, Shannah, Zana, and Zanna. As a feminine given name, Susan was very popular in U.S. in the 20th century, in the 21st century the popularity has declined. Like the reader next in the next entry, it baffles me when people look at the name "Suzanne" and call me "Susan". There's also Lily, which is apparently the meaning for Susan.

At lot more so than Sue or Suzie, that's for sure. It might not be unique but there sure are a lot of us! Because I've enjoyed growing into the name, we named my daughter Katherine and my son Alexander and they, too, are growing into their names. This list of Scottish Gaelic given names shows Scottish Gaelic given names beside their English language equivalent. Imagine that, 147 babies in Arizona have the same name in 1967. I recently looked up my name and found except for the year 1951, Susan reigned in the top 5 names from 1948 through 1965. That's too bad because black-eyed Susan has numerous good qualities. I know someone named Susan, but she goes by the nickname of Sukey. And like the person who wrote above, as I grow older the name sounds fine but I am not too sure how a Tiffany or Brittany will do. Sometimes, its ubiquitousness is held against it ("common" is, unfortunately, often equated with "not worth growing," in the gardening community). Placeholder names are commonly used in computing: . BabyCenter is committed to providing the most helpful and trustworthy pregnancy and parenting information in the world. Foo, Bar, Baz, and Qux (and combinations thereof) are commonly used as placeholders for file, function and variable names.
Random Susan Factoid: According to the 1967 U.S. Social Security Administration data, the first name Susan ranks 10 th in popularity as a baby girl's name in Arizona.