If you want to back up your files via SMB, please go to the SMB section on the same tab, and check the Enable SMB service box. – Marco Schuster Sep 27 '18 at 13:54 After testing with Xcode's Network link conditioner pref pane (200msec latency up/down), it indeed seems that AFP suffers heavily from high latency. In OS X Mavericks, Apple will begin migrating from its own legacy Apple Filing Protocol to Microsoft's SMB2 in an effort to enhance performance, security and cross platform file sharing.

Another note: I turned SMB support back on for 1-3 on the NAS and on one of my Linux machines just did a generic SMB connection and was able to confirm it connected at 1 by default. Time Machine works in Unraid, out of the box with AFP. No orphaned files please!-is some sort of specification, maybe a improved SMB, in the works to address modern file performance … I set up a AFP share, set a 500Gb quota, and configured it on my Mac, and it worked quite well for a six weeks or so. And after making your backup, you can use Time Machine to restore files from your backup. With each OS X update, Mac SMB compatibility has evolved. Content of the configuration file. I 100% recommend you get Unraid! Been reading about this, and it seems SMB is Yosemite's default language, but Time Machine requires AFP? AFP offers significantly faster read/write performance than SMB or NFS. With that said, Time Machine share points have to utilize SMB instead of AFP. Time Machine Supports SMB. Over Gbit cable speeds for AFP, SMB and SSH clock in at 60 MByte/sec. (For more techie users) If you want to back up your files via SMB, please go to the SMB section on the same tab, and check the Enable SMB service box. SMB has no Time Machine support: Native AFP servers from HELIOS and Apple provide this. Both AFP and SMB work perfectly for TM and CCC.

The problem I have is Time Machine seems to know the pool size, and is not trimming the older backups to stay in the 500Gb quota size I set. After that, click the “Set Time Machine Folders” button. I'm not knowledgeable about APF vs SMB, why it matters, etc. For macOS Sierra and later, Time Machine uses SMB, instead of AFP, as the default protocol. Is there a way to specify or select AFP for this network drive connection? I was unable to make the two protocols coexist under any other configuration 1. I'm currently backing up my Mac to Unraid over SMB with version 6.6.7. If you want to back up your files via SMB, please go to the SMB section on the same tab, and check the Enable SMB service box. SMB (Server Messaging Block) is the native file sharing protocol for Windows and is typically used for NAS storage. For macOS Sierra and later, Time Machine uses SMB, instead of AFP, as the default protocol. With each OS X update, Mac SMB compatibility has evolved. The Server Message Block (SMB) is a network file sharing protocol that was developed by Microsoft, while Common Internet File System (CIFS) is one of its versions. SMB (Server Messaging Block) is the native file sharing protocol for Windows and is typically used for NAS storage.
I guess you use wifi to connect to the Synology?