Kidney disease is hard. Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After practicing as a veterinarian for more than 20 years and being chief of staff at Animal House of Chicago, I have treated my fair share of old cat diarrhea.These cases have ranged from something simple, like a cat eating too many cat treats, to something more complex, like a senior cat with an overactive thyroid condition. He was diagnosed with chronic kidney disease (stage 3) about a month ago and was on IV drip for 2 days. Geriatric cats can die from several types of medical conditions.The exact signs a cat may show when approaching death can often depend upon the type of sickness.. Heart Disease. Lately, I have been hearing a lot of noises coming from her gut when she sleeps. I work at a pet food store (global pet foods) and it is nice and big and we get a lot of customers who give the cat a lot of love. Senior cats with kidney disease may need to be on a phosphorous-restricted diet. My vet at that time did not want to treat the HT because he said it would destroy her kidneys. Ultimately though, chronic kidney disease (occurs over time) or acute kidney injury (occurs suddenly) will always have the same result—a sick kitty. Some less fortunate kitties have problems with kidney function, even feline kidney failure, much earlier in life. First, I am so sad that this is from 2016, I have been through this recently and had actual info. 17 year old cat with hyperthyroidism and kidney disease (kitten, eating, male) User Name: Remember Me: Password Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Most cats do not show an obvious decline in kidney function until they are well into their teens. You will be the one to determine whether the quality of his life has deteriorated. Right now my 15 year old tabby is maintaining getting fluids every other day and getting blood pressure medicine. Feline kidney disease is something every cat owner will experience if their cat lives long enough without succumbing from another disease. I have a 17 year old cat with kidney disease. The University of Pennsylvania College of Veterinary Medicine points out feline hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (HCM) is the most common form of cardiac disease in cats. Perhaps the most important thing to know about kidney disease in cats is that way too many cats are affected by it. Bella: We did some research on treating dental disease in very old cats and found a great article by Dr. Sandra Mitchell on the benefits of doing dental work on old cats. ... One of my cats is a 17-years, 4 months old female. This is my 17 year old Persian cat Coco and this picture was taken a year ago. There's nothing like those companions knowing sometimes even before you do. We lost a cat to another disease and our kitten would not leave his side for the months he was declining. The vet told us that since he was so old it was unlikely that medicines and … Suitable diets for cats with kidney problems often have less salt and protein than standard cat foods. When the kidneys cannot efficiently remove toxic waste from a cat's body, the cat is considered to be in renal or kidney insufficiency, which is the first stage of kidney disease. Kidney disease is a common problem in cats, affecting more than 1/3 of older cats 1,2.There are a number of causes that may affect different age groups and have different consequences.

There is no cure for chronic renal failure. She has the beginnings of kidney disease.