The Whirling Dance Ceremony (“Sema” in Turkish) is over 800 years old and its roots lie in the Mevlevi Order and Sufism. Sufis follow Islamic theologian, poet and spiritual master (Sufi) called Jelaleddin Rumi (or Mevlana). Known to the west as Whirling Dervishes, the members of the Mevlevi Order (named for their founder Mevlana) from Konya lived in what we might call coisters or monasteries - what to them was a Mevlevihane.
I’ve always wanted to see whirling dervishes perform the mystical Sufi ceremony known as a sema, in which their series of mesmerizing turns help them, and the … The 13th century is when the Mevlevi order was created in the Turkish city of Konya.

Sufi whirling (or Sufi turning) (Turkish: Semazen borrowed from Persian Sama-zan, Sama, meaning listening, from Arabic, and zan, meaning doer, from Persian) is a form of physically active meditation which originated among certain Sufi groups, and which is still practiced by the Sufi Dervishes of the Mevlevi order and other orders such as the Rifa'i-Marufi.

From a scientific viewpoint we witness that contemporary science definitely confirms that the fundamental condition of our existence is to revolve. 50+ videos Play all Mix - The Sufi Whirling Dervishes of Konya - ritual dance, Turkey YouTube Sufi Devran Tanıtım Filmi Full HD Mehmet Fatih Citlak Zikir - …

In one ghazal in the Divani Shamsi Tabriz he says: Whirling Dervishes, Sema Seb-i Arus, The Wedding Day Sema is part of the inspiration of Mevlana Celaleddin-i Rumi as well as of Turkish custom, history, beliefs and culture. History of Whirling Dervishes. It is a customary meditation practice performed within the Sema, or worship ceremony, through which dervishes (also called semazens, from Persianسماعزن) aim to reac…

It is what we do as a form of remembrance of God.

Rumi mentions whirling in a number of his poems. Sema (Whirling dervishes ceremony), is the inspiration of Mevlana Celaleddin-i Rumi (1207 – 1273) as well as part of the Turkish culture, belief and history in Konya.