Kidney disease is divided into four stages, with stage IV the most severe, and most cats don't start showing clinical signs until stage III.At that point, the … This is when truly caring for your cat may mean recognizing it's time to say goodbye. Today was my first bad day. Identifying the signs of kidney failure in cats can help you make the best choices for your pet. When should I let my cat be put to sleep (kidney failure) (12 Posts) ... My lovely 16 year old half maine coon is in the last stages of kidney failure. It tends to affect more older cats than older dogs, and it’s one of the leading causes of death in geriatric cats.Fortunately, with good management, the disease can be treated for months and often years with good quality of life for the cat. Chronic kidney failure, or "chronic renal failure" (CRF) means the kidneys are not functioning as they should be. By the time your cat was diagnosed with kidney failure, his kidneys had probably been failing for quite some time. Modern treatments slow the deterioration of kidney disease and keep the cat well for longer, but there is a time when the kidneys shut down and quality of life becomes an issue. Chronic kidney failure is a progressive disease, but it can often be treated with some success, If your cat has been diagnosed with chronic renal failure, this is what you can expect to happen next:. Canine kidney failure is a common problem found in older dogs – and can often go unnoticed for a long time before symptoms show. There are many treatments available when your dog has been diagnosed with this condition and once you’ve got all the facts about dog kidney failure – when to euthanize – you’ll know just what to expect. I have made an appointment to have her put down on Thursday, but having read the above and all your messages, I dont believe its time to go, just one bad day. If your pet increasingly needs to drink more water, your kidneys will work more and more to keep your body free of waste. My Zoe has kidney failure as well. Acute kidney failure develops quickly, usually as a result of an identifiable problem, such as getting into antifreeze, a kidney infection, low blood pressure during anesthesia, etc. i agree with the other person that mentioned quality of life. If you’re lucky enough to have loved enough cats, you’ve probably been initiated into the club of humans whose cats have lived with, and eventually succumbed to, kidney failure. Kidney failure is that common. Kidney failure can be either acute (occurring suddenly) or chronic (progressing over a period of time) and is commonly a disease of older cats. And that deadly. Once the disease becomes chronic, approximately 65 to to 75 per cent of renal function has been compromised. by Jennifer Coates, DVM. Some people do this daily and keep their kidney failure cats alive for a long time that way, but those cats are pretty much happy and not in pain at that point. Prevention of Kidney Failure in Cats. Medication: Medications and supplements that lower blood pressure, raise potassium levels, lower phosphorous levels, promote kidney function, treat anemia, … Cat parents can best prevent acute kidney failure by being aware of the most common preventable causes, including: 1) Limit your cat’s exposure to toxic substances: Ethylene glycol antifreeze should not be used in the household, … i will say though to talk to your vet about what you can do to help your cat feel better between now and then. When we are talking about canine kidney failure, detecting it … She vomited last night in bed. Nobody can tell you if you should or should not put her to sleep, but if you do it for selfish reasons, you will probably feel very guilty about it. Unlike acute kidney failure, chronic kidney failure is a disease that develops slowly over months or years.