Attack On Tan Son Nhut Air Base December 4-5, 1966 – Time-line of Events Transcribed by Charles Penley from the After Action Report 04 Dec 1966 0105 - 0315 hours: Mortar and VC penetration assault on Tan Son Nhut. The sapper and mortar attack on Tan Son Nhut Air Base occurred during the early hours of 4 December 1966. The Tan Son Nhut Association--- has been established to respect all of those service personnel from the Air Force, Army, Navy, Marines and Coast Guard, as well as the many civilians who served at any time during the Vietnam conflict at the great airdrome at Tan Son Nhut, Air Base, Saigon, Republic of Vietnam. TAN SON NHUT AIR BASE Air Police / Security Police 6220th APS, TSN AB (c.1962); 6250th ABG, APS, TSN AB (c.1965); 405th APS Assigned TSN AB, TDY, 1965 377th APS Assigned TSN AB, 8 Apr 1966-15 May 1967; 377th SPS, TSN AB, 15 May 1967-28 Mar 1973 in New Mexico, I was on my way to Clark Air Base in the Philippines, where I attended a 2 week school on the C-123 aircraft. The attack by Vietcong (VC) sappers supported by mortar fire was repulsed by the United States Air Force(USAF) base security forces by 04:00 on 4 December, however VC stragglers c… The Tan Son Nhut Association--- has been established to respect all of those service personnel from the Air Force, Army, Navy, Marines and Coast Guard, as well as the many civilians who served at any time during the Vietnam conflict at the great airdrome at Tan Son Nhut, Air Base, Saigon, Republic of Vietnam. The sapper and mortar attack on Tan Son Nhut Air Base occurred during the early hours of 4 December 1966. After only 6 months of O.J.T.

Tan Son Nhut Airport Saigon 1966-72 Photos supplied by (mostly) 2Comp Ord/2AOD diggers on their tour of duty in Vietnam. April 13, 1966. The attitude within MACV was that any large-scale VC attack would be detected and defeated before the force reached the base and so the only threat came from small-scale guerilla attacks of less than 200 men. Photos from an Air Force Sergeant. Tan Son Nhut was initially the main air base for Military Airlift Command flights to and from South Vietnam, until other bases such as Bien Hoa and Cam Ranh opened in 1966. Photos taken in 1966-67 by 56th Trans Co SP/5 Willard Holiday were passed along to me by fellow 56th vet Scott Drew for the purpose of creating a slide show and publishing it here on youtube… at Tan Son Nhut Air Base in 1965 These photos were taken by an US Air Force Sergeant stationed at Tan Son Nhut Air Base in Saigon during 1965. Despite the 4 December 1966 VC sapper attack on Tan Son Nhut Air Base, base security was little improved by 1968. The photos are of street scenes in Saigon and surrounding area as well as planes on the Air Base. Tan Son Nhut Airbase was attacked by enemy North Vietnamese or Viet Cong at approx 12:30 a.m. on April 13, 1966 while I was sleeping. Deeds of courage and humanity were common here as the base … General Holbury attended RF-4 Phantom combat crew training at Bergstrom Air Force Base, Texas, in September 1967 before assuming command of the 460th Tactical Reconnaissance Wing at Tan Son Nhut Air Base, Republic of Vietnam, in December 1967. tan son nhut, air base building facilities may 01, 1968 - april 30, 1973 VIET CONG SHELL TAN SON NHUT AIR BASE. SAIGON --- The Tan Son Nhut air base located about three miles from downtown Saigon underwent a Viet Cong Attack beginning at 12:30 a.m. April 13.