Maya Angelou’s home of 20 years in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, was once dotted with birdcages. In Maya Angelou’s poem “Caged Bird” she creates a vivid image with the line “But a caged bird stands on the grave of dreams.” This is a death image. A remarkable poet, human rights activist, great storyteller, an inspirational autobiographer and Hollywood’s first female black director, Maya Angelou has helped shaped the sphere of writing and cultural equality. Maya Angelou was a civil rights activist, poet and award-winning author known for her acclaimed 1969 memoir, 'I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings', and her numerous poetry and essay collections. Maya Angelou: And Still I Rise is the first documentary about Dr. Maya Angelou. Maya Angelou was one of the most influential people of our time. "Caged Bird" was published in Maya Angelou's 1983 poetry collection Shaker, ... Angelou paints a critical portrait of oppression in which she illuminates the privilege and entitlement of the un-oppressed, and conveys the simultaneous experience of suffering and emotional resilience. Poem Hunter all poems of by Maya Angelou poems. ... 27 But a caged bird stands on the grave of dreams. Phenomenal Woman, Still I Rise, The Road Not Taken, If You Forget Me, Dreams The grave site of Maya Angelou.Death record, obituary, funeral notice and information about the deceased person. One, blue and standing 6 feet tall, sat outside the gate near what Angelou … She held many roles throughout her life, including poet, memoirist, novelist, educator, dramatist, producer, actress, historian, filmmaker, and civil rights activist. 52 poems of Maya Angelou. Here’s a glimpse of her beautiful poems that have touched the readers in unique way. Born in St. Louis in 1928, Maya … Dr. Maya Angelou was born to Vivian Baxter and Bailey Johnson in St. Louis, Missouri on April 4, 1928.

[86212641-en] This memorial website was created in memory of our loved one, Maya Angelou, 86, born on April 4, 1928 and passed away on May 28, 2014. Maya Angelou Maya Angelou, poet, performer, and political activist passed away at her home in Winston-Salem, NC at the age of 86. She passed to her Heavenly Reward quietly on May 28, 2014 in her home in Winston-Salem, North Carolina. An acclaimed American poet, storyteller, activist, and autobiographer, Maya Angelou was born Marguerite Johnson in St. Louis, Missouri. She wa The Maya Angelou Documentary will reflect on how the events of history, culture, and the arts shaped Dr. Angelou’s life and how she, in turn, helped shape our own worldview through her autobiographical literature and activism.