Vatican: Priests can’t marry, but they can date Posted by joelkilpatrick on Jun 14, 2011 in 2003-2008 , No photo | Comments Off on Vatican: Priests can’t marry, but they can date VATICAN CITY — In a surprise move, the Vatican announced late Thursday that while priests cannot marry, they can date. Just sayin.

Priests can't have families because they would be a distraction from their responsibilities. If you’re a member of a church and you are crushing on your priest, either get over your crush or go to another church, attend there for a while, then ask her/him for coffee. Priests are to demonstrate the life of the Christ in every way we can. In the tradition of the Roman Catholic Church priesthood and celibacy have gone together for a very long time.

In 1563, the Council of Trent reaffirmed this tradition of celibacy and this rule has held until the present day. Clergy, don’t date parishioners. This is not really my area, and I realize the article is about dating priests; but I'm thinking, if you are priest and interested in getting dates, might be a good idea not be so much of clothes horse as the guy in the photo. I first called up James Martin, a Jesuit priest and editor-at-large at America Magazine, for the straightforward explanation. We are not dating. One can go to the movies with a friend, not intending to have a romantic future with them. 2 weeks ago I went to lunch with a priest friend who helped me with some theology work. Wiki User. I have lunches/dinners/beers with priest friends all the time. It depends upon the denomination of the church. 3. Again, that priest-parishioner relationship is holy and does not need to be mucked up by all that is messy and crazy about dating.

Clergy in Protestant denominations can date and marry, and some of those denominations also welcome women and LGBTQ priests.

At the Second Lateran Council (1139) celibacy was introduced as a rule. Catholic AnswerNo, a Catholic priest may retire with permission of his Bishop, but he could not get married. Can I date my priest? Catholics don't believe in birth control , so if priests ran around having sex all the time they would have large families . Why can’t priests date and get married? Like (0) Dislike (0) Whit Johnstone

We were not on a date. Top Answer. 2008-10-27 18:45:28 2008-10-27 18:45:28.