Ever since seeing "Hereditary" and learning about Ari Aster's apparent inspiration for it from "The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover", I've been wanting to see it. The Cook serves up gourmet masterpieces in a beautiful restaurant. The thief holds his tyrannical court in the restaurant, terrorising all around him. Re: The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover #7 Post by wattsup32 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:16 am There are a couple of people on the Criterion Facebook page alluding to a Criterion blu of this. Her lover is having the riskiest affair of his life. Definitely wasn't disappointed! Watch The Cook, The Thief, His Wife & Her Lover movie trailers, exclusive videos, interviews from the cast, movie clips and more at TVGuide.com. With Richard Bohringer, Michael Gambon, Helen Mirren, Alan Howard. His wife has a dangerous and illicit passion. The wife of an abusive criminal finds solace in the arms of a kind regular guest in her … ... Has the The Cook, the Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover cover on Filmstruck always had the Criterion logo on it?

The film's graphic violence, and nude scenes, as well as its lavish cinematography and formalism, were noted at the time of its release. A vile, gluttonous thief (Michael Gambon, The Singing Detective) spews hate and abuse at a restaurant run by a stoic French cook (Richard Bohringer, Diva), but under the thief's nose his wife (the ever-sensuous Helen Mirren, Prime Suspect) conducts an affair with a bookish lover (Alan Howard, Strapless). Directed by Peter Greenaway. The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover is a 1989 crime drama film written and directed by Peter Greenaway, starring Richard Bohringer, Michael Gambon, Helen Mirren and Alan Howard in the titular roles.

r/criterion: The Criterion Collection is a continuing series of important classic and contemporary films on home video.

Press J to jump to the feed. It was on the criterion channel, so I eagerly clicked it. At first viewing of Peter Greenaway The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and her Lover I immediately realize that it's a powerful, visual film that uses each scene to really elevate the film's story.