Read the Can I use demerara sugar instead of regular brown sugar? Demerara sugar is similar to turbinado sugar in that it also has large, irregular grains and a light brown color. discussion from the Chowhound Home Cooking, Brown Sugar food community. Primarily, demerara sugar is used for topping products and adding crunch in baking applications.

Brown sugar is a sucrose sugar product with a distinctive brown color due to the presence of molasses.It is either an unrefined or partially refined soft sugar consisting of sugar crystals with some residual molasses content (natural brown sugar), or it is produced by the addition of molasses to refined white sugar (commercial brown sugar).. We baked muffins, sugar cookies, layer cakes, and shortbread with granulated sugar and Demerara and turbinado sugars and compared the texture, flavor, and appearance of each. RESULTS. Across the board the raw sugars added a slight molasses-like flavor that most tasters preferred to the cleaner flavor of granulated sugar.

It is unrefined and produced in such a way as to turn out very large crystals, larger even than those of turbinado sugar. Demerara sugar is a raw cane sugar with a relatively coarse grain size.

The sugar still has lots of natural molasses flavoring, which makes it a popular sweetener for teas.

Demerara definition, a light brown raw sugar grown in Guyana and used especially in the country's rum-making industry. Join the discussion today. There are plenty of reasons why this “natural” sugar is popular in many European countries and is gaining ground in the U.S. One is that while white sugar contains up to 97-98 percent sucrose, natural demerara sugar contains only around 93 percent sucrose. I'd Google a recipie that asks for demerara sugar, and use that.

msrisotto Sun 05-Feb-17 17:29:22.

It is known for its amber colour and caramel flavour, which is formed from cane juice during extraction from the crushed cane.

No i've never thought of putting demerara in Meringues!

Add message | Report. Do you put it in as is, or do you put it in the blender to make it … The crystal structure is very different between the 2 types. Demerara Sugar Contains Less Sucrose. See more.