Vietnam Photo Galleries When you select any of the galleries below, you will be taken to that gallery’s description and photos. The authors are Vietnam veterans themselves: Joseph Galloway, New York Times coauthor of the best seller We Were Soliders: Once … and Young (1992), and photojournalist Marvin Wolf. The Vietnam Veterans Memorial includes more than 58,000 names of men and women killed or missing in action during the Vietnam War. Dr. Sam Axelrad, right, shakes hands with former North Vietnamese soldier Nguyen Quang Hung at Hung's house in the town of An Khe, Gia Lai province, Vietnam … Second, the history of Vietnam-era GI protest challenges some common tropes that drive US collective memory of the Vietnam War – for example, the betrayal myth of a soldier-hating antiwar movement that reviled the troops. Once there, you will be able to click on any of the individual photos to view their descriptions and view that photo in a larger frame. But could I get in the best situation and not get hurt was a legitimate concern of mine. A new book, They Were Soldiers: The Sacrifices and Contributions of Our Vietnam Veterans, tells the stories of 48 male and female military members who served during those turbulent times. We had run into a mean little ambush which had cost us a …

My 32,672,800 seconds began in mid-August 1968 and ended in late August 1969. Stories from Vietnam.

Alpha Battery Upon arrival at Cu Chi I was assigned to Alpha Battery 7th Battalion 11th Artillery. The pair … Bucks County poet Bill Ehrhart, 68, recounts his experiences in Vietnam in several poems as well as his 1983 memoir, Vietnam Perkasie.

Broken down, 812,160,000 seconds of commitment fell between those dates. In the summer of 1968, as a 21-year-old soldier in Vietnam, I became an acknowledged killer. In Vietnam, the troops gave our battles such names as ‘The Day Sandy Got It,’ ‘Phu An’ and ‘Two July.’ On ‘Two July,’ 1967, our four understrength 125-man rifle companies suffered 84 dead and 190 wounded. Michael Brookman. My Vietnam - 32,672,800 Seconds American official involvement with Vietnam began in August 1950 and ended in May 1975. Ehrhart, the … The Booby Trap (April 12, 1968), by Richard Dieterle. In this book, I’ve written stories … ALBANY — For many, the essence of the war in Vietnam can be broken down by the numbers: the 58,000-plus American troops killed, some 4 million military and civilian deaths —Jan C. Scruggs, founder and president emeritus Vietnam Veterans Memorial Fund (VVMF) An American Hero (National Park Service, Vietnam Veterans Memorial) William David Howsa Ragin is honored on Panel 1E, Row 62 of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial

We used up our mortar ammo quickly, then moved wounded Marines to the back of the perimeter, hoping to get medevac choppers in. we run into the enemy concealed and dug in — death of Thompson — we return, enemy flees — the face of death — Thompson’s body lost at Đà Nẵng — our FO shells enemy night convoy — After Action Reports.

Posted by webadmingalleries on March 24, 2010, in the category Soldier Stories. The battery provided fire support for the ground forces in the Tay Ninh Province area near the Cambodian border. It consisted of six 105mm towed howitzers. Soldier Stories. There are so many stories on The Wall — stories of people as diverse as our nation itself. Haywood T. "The Kid" Kirkland from Bloods: An Oral History of the Vietnam War by Black Veterans (1984) ... At the time I basically had a gung ho attitude about being a soldier. But in Vietnam, it was the most sought-after goal of every soldier, the beacon of light at the Soul Shaking Experience It was August 1968, and I had been in Viet Nam less than 20 days with no idea how quickly my life was going to change.